Friday, October 10, 2008

We're coming along!

So I had a wake up call last week when my doctor told me, "The next time I see you you'll be 28 weeks, which will be your 3rd trimester. I'm going to have to start seeing you every two weeks from that point." Third trimester!? That's like the last trimester! What? Will Baby Braxton really be here that soon? The answer is yes! We are in full baby mode now!

We have made some decisions on what we think would be best for our baby....breastfeeding, making our own baby food, and cloth diapers. Yes, that's right people. Cloth diapers! When I say cloth diapers, many people immediately think old school when it was literally just cloth and a pin. That's not the case. To give you a better idea, here is a picture of one.You would be OVERWHELMED at the options they have now for cloth diapers. Do you want fitted, all in one, prefold, pocket, etc? Do we want them made out of wool, fleece, cotton, hemp, bamboo!? Don't forget to pick your patterns and colors! As you can imagine, this has required a lot of research. No worries! I am married to the internet research king! Blake has done countless hours of research on the best kind of cloth diapers. He could probably write a book. I have never seen someone care so much about a little tushi! Some of you may think we are crazy but it has a ton of benefits.

1. Cheaper
2. Better for his little hiney
3. Potty train faster
4. Better for the environment (The Birkenfeld house is going green!)

We are not the only crazy ones doing this either. It has actually become a very popular thing! We have several friends that are doing this with their baby. (Thanks Shan for the advice!)

Braxton is doing well. He has gotten very active! You can now watch my stomach pooch out when he kicks. He also got the hiccups the other day, or at least I think that's what it was.

As for our other baby, (the one that is furry and barks) she is doing great too. She just had a trip to the vet to get her teeth cleaned, and she did great. She is currently passed out on the floor from the anesthesia. She also made the cover of The Bark N Lounge (daycare) newsletter with this photo.The ladies that work there said the dog directly to her left named Fenway is one of her many boyfriends. They say she picks the prettiest male dog at daycare that day and plays with him. Hopefully she doesn't get a bad reputation! :)

Blake and I are doing great. We start our birthing class next month! We are just busy with work and preparing for this baby and trying to enjoy our last few months of just the two of us before our world gets turned upside down....in a good way of course!

8 comments:

Chance and Josey Douglass said...

Congrats to you guys! i'm so happy for y'all. you look very cute pregnant. it was nice finding you on here.

Unknown said...

Doesn't my grandog look so very cute and happy! We are ALL going to have fun when Baby Braxton B. is here. He will have lots of "over protectors"! But with such snazzy poopy pants we'll all want to change him! Even his Uncle Bubbie!

Shanna said...

I'm excited that you're taking the cloth diapering plunge...I think you'll love it! Blake probably knows a heck of a lot more about them than I do! I can't wait to see you soon!

Don Mark and Heather said...

robyn...love your blog! hope you're feeling well. you'll have to let me know how the cloth diapers are! i haven't know anyone to use them, so i will be really interested to hear about it. maybe i'll convert if you give them good reviews!

Jared said...

Firstly, I only change wet diapers. Secondly, you're making your own baby food? When did you become hippies?

When we have a kid, it's going to wear environment-destroying disposable diapers, eat processing and chemical-filled baby food, sleep on cheap sheets in a crib I bought at a garage sale in a trailer park, and learn knife throwing about the time it learns to walk, all of which will build character.

Also, it will often beat up on its older cousin because he'll be too busy reading fantasy novels and researching to do anything about it.

:)

Ariel Lee said...

I just want to apologize for the previous comment. He really thinks he's funny, doesn't he? ;)

Lindsey said...

I am so glad you're cloth diapering! It's definitely caught on up here in Louisville. We are planning on cloth diapering when/if we have children! I'd love to get the down-low on your research... i've done some but since blake is the research genius I'd love to see what ya'll came up with!
Also, did you know there's a sprayer you can hook up to the toilet to rinse them out?!! I thought that was the neatest and most helpful gadget for cloth diapering!
I can't wait to see baby birkenfeld!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Someone else who will understand the trials of breastfeeding and making baby food! It's not that hard and it really will save you money!! Congratulations again!!